Tuesday, December 02, 2008

#musesofamom: An Accidental Tradition

Update (2015): Seven years later, we are still following this Accidental Tradition despite the boys being much older and the Oldest working part time. The picnic spread has gotten much larger (for teen appetites!) and the movie choices are quite different.  It continues to be an evening that we all look forward to as a family.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever wondered how some holiday traditions have started?  While I have often wondered this myself, I have learned that some traditions are accidental.

My "accidental" tradition is now held every year on December 23rd. We enjoy a picnic on the floor of the living room, complete with a red and white gingham tablecloth. I put together a spread of  Hickory Farms sausage, cheeses, crackers, fruits, veggies with dip and popcorn chicken. The "fancy" Christmas crystal goblets are also retrieved from the cabinet so we can all enjoy sparkling juice like royalty.

When the Youngest was 3 years old, I surprised both boys with this first indoor picnic. I had them wait in the other room with Dad while I prepared the dinner then turn off all the lights but the Christmas lights and candles. We watched a Christmas movie (I think this first year it was "Annabelle's Wish") and enjoyed being together as a family before we started the busy Christmas Eve and Christmas day schedule.

The following year, the Oldest, then 9 years old, reminded me of this "tradition"and stated all the details from the previous year in case I had forgotten. It is amazing how you discover what things are important to your kids.

So now, every year on December 23rd, we have our traditional Christmas picnic feast. I'm not sure what movie we'll watch this year, (it may be two!) but whatever it is, it will be another precious memory to savor.