Saturday, March 08, 2014

"Are You Immune to the Names God Calls You?"

Today I am sharing the post that I wrote for our Shoreline Church's Sisterhood Ministry Page in response to one of our recent speakers.
------------------------------------------------------------
“Are you immune to the names God calls you? “

This question by our leader, Alex Shimanek, grabbed my attention as she began speaking on Wednesday night.  While my mind may know that I am God’s Daughter, I don’t think that my heart does.  Looking in the mirror the way that I often do, it is a simple process for me to give my definition of who I can be for the Lord.

How imperative it is that we know what God calls us!  Thank goodness that no matter what we might see in the mirror, it is not the same that God sees.  He named us before the world began and we must focus on those glorious names he gives us:  Chosen, Blessed, Victorious, Daughter, Righteous, Virtuous … just to name a few. 

Never let the world name you.  Proverbs 18:21 says, “The tongue can bring death or life.”(NLT)  We can choose to speak life giving worlds over families and even ourselves. 

Another promise is that no matter whom we are or what our circumstances, we can do those things that God calls us to do.  He “makes possible what is impossible to us.”  We shouldn’t compare ourselves to others, but instead glorify God with the energy that we would use to compare ourselves with other women!  Be the best that you can be – you could be the only glimpse of Jesus that the world will ever see. 

How can we do this?  First, pray.  Ask God to give you the vision of who you are, the special creation of God.   Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”  (NLT)  Next, ask God for a vision for who He wants you to be.  Surround yourself with other godly, encouraging women who only want the best for you.  Share your hopes and dreams with the other girls in your Sisterhood small group so that they can pray along with you. 

God can be trusted to keep his promise!  (Hebrews 10:23)
Post a Comment