The Love Note - A Small Gesture With Big Blessings

September 18, 2008

You just never know what to expect from tween-agers. The Oldest, now 11 and in 6th grade, seems to have more hormonal ups and downs than I do. But even so, that kid surprises me.

Before school started in August, we were at the Round-Up (to get his books, schedule, etc.) and he looked absolutely mortified when I teased that I was going to visit the school and put little heart notes in his locker so he would know just how much I loved him!

The night before school I did place a plain yellow post-it note inside of his new school binder that simply said, "Have a great day! Love, Mom".  I hoped he would see it, even though I assumed that once he saw the message, he would quickly throw it away before classmates would see it. 

Three weeks later after secretly leaving that note, Matt wanted to show me how organized he was keeping his school binder. He made a point of showing me the side pocket, stating: "And here is where I keep the note that you gave me on the first day of school."

Even that little gesture - a note on a Post-it - was a simple yet great way to tell him that I cared about what is going on in his daily life. It was a blessing to him and especially to me! Thank goodness God blesses me with those sweet little moments -- it helps me get through these tween-age hormones!

"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger,
abounding in love and faithfulness."
- Psalms 86:15


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.